Wright-Pierce was founded on January 17, 1947 in Topsham, Maine, as a partnership between Frank Wright, Jr., and William Pierce. Frank and Bill met as Civil Engineers working for Bath Iron Works. Raising $50 in capital between them, they formed the partnership to practice civil engineering, primarily highway design, and surveying in Maine. One of their first acts was to flip a coin to determine the name for the firm. Frank won, so the name became “Wright & Pierce”.
Over the ensuing years, the company expanded with additional staff and a wider range of engineering discipline capabilities for a growing number of municipal, industrial, and institutional clients.
For 70 years, Wright-Pierce has been helping municipalities and municipal utilities build and maintain their infrastructure systems to support the community’s vision for the future and to enhance quality of life. We continue to grow and expand to engineer a better environment for our clients, our people and our planet.